Photography for Social Media
Whether you're managing your personal or brand's online presence, using the right images is an essential part of telling your story through social media. While many of us these days carry around a camera, our phones, in our pockets every day, how many of us really know how to use it to create and share images that make an impact with social media audiences
Why this course?
This four-week online course is your essential guide to visual storytelling, teaching you how to optimise the image tools available to you and apply them correctly to create engaging stories across social media platforms.
You'll be taught by industry-leading experts in digital marketing and collaborate with your peers and get constructive feedback from your tutors throughout the course to help make sure you're on-track.
What you'll learn?
● What impact the images/style you use has on your brand's identity
● How to create visual assets for social media that truly represent you/your brand
● What you need to create engaging and impactful images: from iPhones to DSLRs
● Lighting, focus and composition: from food, to product, to lifestyle images
● How to optimise your images for social media
● Editing software: explore available options and price points for improving the appearance of your photographs
● How to develop a visual strategy for social media channels: explore the major social networks and how to best use them
Week 1: Visual identity and Social Media
Week 2: Planning and Strategising
● Create a vision board for your own visual identity on social media
● Define your own or your company's branding
● Develop a social media strategy (i.e. create a social media calendar as part of that strategy)
Week 3: Creating Content
● Photographic equipment
● How to create the best images: framing, composition, lighting, etc.
● The anatomy of a social media post
● Selecting photographs and creating editing skills and software
Week 4: Editing, Publishing and Curating Content
● Social media sharing
● Audience engagement
● Tips for building social media following
● Tools to manage social media accounts
● Utilise your mission statement and analytics information to market your blog or vlog via a media kit
Who will you learn with?
An established and experienced photography industry professional.
Anna-Maria is the founder and director of kiosk, a London-based artist representation and creative mangement agency, set up in 2015. Kiosk represents a select group of artists working across the fields of fashion, advertising, documentary and fine art. Recent clients include Dior, PORT magazine, Louis Vuitton, Rolls Royce, Manolo Blahnik, Cutler & Gross, FT magazine, National Geographic Magazine, Burberry, Wonderland and Harper's Bazaar amongst many others.
Further to this, she also works as a freelance Press and Communications Consultant with clients including White Cube, Photoworks, Autograph ABP, Ditto, Atlas Gallery and Oodee and teaches ‘Professional Practice’ on the MA Photography and BA (Top Up) Photography at Falmouth University. Her teaching strategy and learning programme design are directly and explicitly informed by her research and professional activities.
How do I study?
The course content includes presentations, interviews and case studies to ensure you understand what you're learning in real life with topics broken down into manageable chunks and made available to you on a weekly basis.
You'll learn, interact and collaborate with your classmates to open up your knowledge and skills to a range of perspectives and new opportunities. You can expect one hour of presented, online content with around 4 hours of self-study each week required to complete the content. The time and date of your one hour will be agreed between yourself and the tutor once the course starts.
Your online classroom is an easy to use, intuitive interface. Here you'll have access to the diverse range of materials that'll support and delivery your learning; all of which you'll be guided through by your expert tutor. You'll never feel alone in your online classroom, you'll be interacting, questioning and engaging regularly with your peers on the course as well as with your tutor. Ask the questions you need to, when you want to and gain valuable insights and perspectives from your peers as you share experiences, ideas and thoughts.
Here's what some of our students thought
"The photography for Social Media course was really interesting and gave me a good insight into the different ways photographs can be used online."
"I came into the course from a photography background but didn't know a lot about branding and the way social media can be used to support this, which I learnt a lot about in the 4 weeks. Anna-Maria was a really friendly and supportive tutor and gave me some really good ideas on what I should be photographing and posting to make the biggest impact across social platforms."
"I enjoyed the daily photo challenge and it has helped me with my confidence in my photo taking."